
Sanju Samson almost single-handedly gifted India the win against Afghanistan on September 15, scoring 57 runs from just 22 balls. After the match, the experienced opener faced competition within the team following the inclusion of Vaibhav Sooryavanshi.
The inclusion of Vaibhav Sooryavanshi is believed to be at the expense of Sanju Samson under pressure. To accommodate Sooryavanshi in the playing eleven, the Indian team management dropped Samson. Ahead of the ongoing three-match T20I series against Afghanistan, there were uncertainties over both Sanju Samson and Vaibhav Sooryavanshi.
Sanju Samson on his competition with Vaibhav Sooryavanshi
For the first two matches of the series, Indian team management kept its faith in Samson over Sooryavanshi. Samson misfired in the first match, scoring only 10 runs, but returned in style soon in the second match. He crafted the flamboyant 57-run knock with a strike rate of 259.09 and seven 4s and four 6s.
"I think they (Sooryavanshi and Abhishek Sharma) are competitors for the outside world, but we are a team, and we are playing for a country. We want to win the game first, and then it comes down to the other individuals. We can’t sulk or be in a negative frame of mind, thinking, ‘Yaar, mujhe nahi mila, usko kyun diya.’ Those kinds of mindsets don’t work here,” Samson told reporters in the post-match press conference.
Sanju Samson says on the outside noises
In the press conference, Sanju Samson further mentioned that he tried his best to stay away from the outside noise to prepare himself for the next challenges. But still, he needs to deal with the outside voices, including the comments from the former cricketers.
"I try to switch the Wi-Fi off. But sometimes the Wi-Fi gets switched on, and comments become visible. Some senior player says something. So I think it’s very normal. Definitely, outside noise does affect cricketers in India. But you need to be very clear about your mindset, how you need to prepare, and the mindset you need to play with,” he added.
Sanju Samson explains how he prepares his mindset
Samson himself reckoned that with the emergence of Vaibhav Sooryavanshi, he started to feel extra pressure. But soon, learnt the art of managing the pressure and performing without having too many thoughts inside the mind. Samson played the match-defining knock against Afghanistan on Tuesday with an improved mindset.
"I think I have been mature enough and experienced enough to know how to handle it. Earlier, it used to hurt a little. I’m not a machine. We are not robots; we can say, ‘No, it doesn’t affect me.’ Definitely, it affects you," Samson said.
"If I paid attention to those things, I couldn’t bat like this. Before hitting a shot, I would think ten times, ‘Yaar, out ho gaya toh phir Wi-Fi problem ho jayega.’ So instead, I tell myself, ‘Koi baanahi,' he added.
With back-to-back wins, India is leading the three-match T20I series with one more match to go. The remaining match will be on September 17 at the Arun Jaitley Stadium in New Delhi.
from Cricket Addictor https://ift.tt/4vOxUSg